Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Puppy Love

Smokey

Yesterday (Feb. 13th) marked the 32nd anniversary of my first dog's birth. Though I wouldn't meet him for another seven weeks, in time for my birthday, I often referred to him as my little Valentine. Part yellow Lab, part Golden Retriever, Smokey was 100% my best friend for the next twelve years. 

He was also the inspiration for one of the main characters - yes, a dog - in some of my first stories, which evolved into the fantasy series I've left to gather dust too long.... 

It's been nearly twenty years since he crossed the Rainbow Bridge, but I still keep his picture and collar on my desk. He will forever hold a special place in my heart.


Athena & Thor
LOML & I both had cats, Tiger, Lynx and Artemis, when we started a family of our own, but we weren't able to have a dog until we bought the house. We adopted Athena, my other yellow mutt, in July 2008. 

A year and a half later, Thor joined the family. We had a wonderful six years with our Beastie Boy. Until last April, when sudden illness left him paralyzed, and we had to say the Last Goodbye 😢 We all miss him still.



Athena & Thor
Especially Athena. Surprisingly spry for her (nearly) nine years, she shows almost no sign of her age. Just some loneliness, despite my efforts to serve as her comfort animal these last ten months. (She has anxiety issues.) Thor left a void LOML & I knew we'd have to fill, for us, for the kids, and for Athena. We just needed some time....  

And, last week, we decided the time had come, so, we brought home an early Valentine for the whole family 💗 Meet Wookiee! 

Wookiee


This little guy had a rough start in the world, but he's made tons of progress in the last week. And, isn't he just the cutest thing?!

Wookiee & Athena

I should've recorded the look on Athena's face when they first met. I can't quite describe it. She lit up with pure joy and delight - she couldn't stop licking him! Of course, now he's getting playful and starting to nip at her, and she gets annoyed on occasion, but, on the whole, I can see how much happier she is.    





Simba disapproves

Simba, on the other hand, not so much. Artemis doesn't mind the dogs at all, she just hisses if they get too close, and they turn away. Mufasa is usually hiding somewhere being lazy anyway, so he's just doing him. But, poor Simba! He'd been singing Oh I Just Can't Wait to be King from the day he came home. And, he was, as long as Thor was outside. But, now there's this strange, mini Thor, called Wookiee, trying to eat his food (instead of the puppy or dog food), and he just doesn't know what to make of him yet...

As for the humans in the household, we're all in love!

Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day! (Time for me to put Wookiee to bed....)

Roari



No comments:

Post a Comment