Thursday, December 3, 2015

Heavy Hearts in San Bernardino




Dozens of families are going through what no one ever should have to, again. Hundreds of others are dealing with the emotional scars of what they witnessed yesterday, possibly for the rest of their lives. My heart goes out to everyone affected by the horrific events in San Bernardino
, as it does each time something like this happens. 

And, for what? What would possess anyone to attack a county health department Christmas party? Why would a young couple with a six month old child do something like this? 

We still don't know. We know their names, they were a couple, and that he was an employee of the health department. Law enforcement may have more details yet to be released, but as of now (or the last time I turned on the TV), the public doesn't know what their motive, or motives, were.


Wednesday's massacre at a social services center for the disabled in San Bernardino was the nation's deadliest mass shooting since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that left 26 people dead in 2012.
Posted by ABC7 on Thursday, December 3, 2015


CNN was on in the background, as LOML and I were going about our morning, when they broke in with the story. For the next three hours, I bounced between ABC 7 and CNN, glued to the coverage of the very active scene unfolding a mere thirty-minute drive away from home, in an area I've passed through numerous times. 

With the suspects still on the run, not knowing if they had another attack planned, I left to pick up my kids from school. We did our normal thing - went to the gas station, turned in the recycling, did the grocery shopping and came home to do homework. That's when it hit me again, the realization someone's mother wasn't able to do that today. Someone's father wouldn't come home. Brother. Sister. Husband. Wife. Son. Daughter.

LOML and I both managed restaurants in San Bernardino county, and have interacted with county employees who may have been there yesterday. I don't know. I didn't know any of them personally. It doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have happened to them. It shouldn't happen to anyone. Not here. Not anywhere. My heart breaks a little more each time.

Would better gun control measures have prevented this? Hard to say. He was an American citizen, presumably without any criminal history. He most likely would've still been able to make his purchase. 

But, what would tighter background checks really hurt? Anyone who can't wait 30 days to get their hands on a piece, is probably not someone I want having one. It's also absurd, as the President said yesterday, that we have people on a no-fly list, prohibited from boarding a plane, who are able to purchase a gun. WTF? Am I the only one who thinks this is INSANE? 

No, it wouldn't prevent every tragedy, and almost certainly not the one yesterday. But, if tighter gun control saved even ONE LIFE ... is that not worth it?

My hope for my fellow Americans, and the rest of the world, is to have a more peaceful day today. One day, I dream, we can all just wake up to peace.

~Roari 

No comments:

Post a Comment