Monday, January 31, 2022

Somewhere, Over the Rainbow Bridge


In memory of Athena, the mighty huntress
May 2008 - January 21st 2022






If you've been here before, you probably know I'm an animal lover, as is my husband, and, in turn, so are our children. Last Friday was a rough day for all of us. Really, the last four months or so, because our sweet Athena finally began to act her age, and then swiftly declined. 

She fought with every scrap of mutt in her, but it became clear she wouldn't win this last battle, against time. She put on a brave face, and had one last Christmas. 

Athena was our first family dog, adopted from the local shelter, which told us they believed she was part Husky part German Shepherd. I didn't believe a word of it for a second. Without DNA testing, the closest breed I could find was a Carolina Dog, aka an American Dingo. Never knew such a breed existed, until Athena came into our lives. Whether or not she was, we'll never know, but I'll go on believing because it suited her so well. 

She had a wild soul, and was rather neurotic. She was also the sweetest girl, when she felt like it. I often joked that I was her "comfort animal" - but, it was true. We had an understanding. She needed my presence to be calm.

I didn't want another yellow dog, not after my childhood Lab, Smokey. (As it turned out, he and Athena were a lot alike.) But, my husband took a liking to her over the other pups at the shelter, and she became ours. 


She raised both of our German Shepherds, Thor and Wookiee, initiating them in the way of the dog. While Thor went ahead, and was patiently waiting for her across the Rainbow Bridge, Wookiee is missing his big sister. 

The cats, especially Rocket, have been working at keeping him distracted, letting him "shepherd" them around the house or chasing him up the stairs (trust me, it's hilarious). 

Athena will always hold a special place in our hearts. Though I know she's at peace, and free from anymore pain, I'm still having a hard time adjusting to not seeing her big goofy grin first thing in the morning. That's gonna take a while.

Thank you for letting me share Athena with you dear Reader. I'm sure she'll live on in one of my stories, somewhere down the line. 

Where ever you are, I wish you a beautiful day, night, or sometime in the between.

∞Roari


No comments:

Post a Comment