Sunday, August 9, 2015

#SundayLinkParty - Writers Helping Writers



Look at Twitter, Facebook, any social media platform, or anywhere else on the internet, and you'll find hundreds of thousands of writers. One might think we're all extremely social, and perfectly comfortable talking about ourselves and our work. Some of us are, I'm sure, but, not me. I know I'm not the only one.

Writing, in all forms, is a personal process. All writers have their own quirks. Some need music, others need silence. Some need chocolate, others need the rumble in their stomach. Some need coffee, I need Pepsi. It's when the writing is done, when we have to come out of our caves and share our work with the world, many of us struggle with facing our fears.


Joining Writing.com eight years ago, for me, was the first step. Beyond improving my craft, I've been fortunate to make some wonderful friends - though I have yet to meet them in person. I'm not as active there as I used to be, and I need to change that, because without my peer reviewers, and the collaborative environment, my insecurities might have won.

One of the most important lessons I've learned in writing is we need other writers. I've seen it discussed on other blogs and in articles, again and again. And it's the absolute truth. The most famous example that comes to mind is the friendship between Lewis and Tolkien, though there are are hundreds of others. We need to learn from, encourage, support and promote each other. Writers did this long before the internet, before social media.

It took me a long time to join Twitter. After reading horror stories of bullying, it just never seemed like something I wanted to get into. But, I finally got on the bandwagon in March, and it's been an overwhelmingly positive experience, though I'm still figuring it out.

Ultimately, my point is, there's an enormous community of wonderful people out there - fellow writers, and artists of all kinds - who all have one thing in common, at some point, they were just starting out. Maybe they still are. Maybe they're behind you, looking to see where you lead. Whatever the case, being a writer doesn't have to mean you're in it alone.

Where do you share your work? Share a link in the comments below, I'd love to check it out!

Thank you to Victoria Griffin for hosting the #SundayLinkParty! Show your support by visiting her blog or following on Twitter.

As always, I hope you're having a beautiful day, night or sometime in the between....
Roari



Images from Pixabay



No comments:

Post a Comment