Friday, August 22, 2014

Fall Planning...


I just looked at the calendar and said, "Yikes!" (Okay, it was more like "Frack.")  The year is almost gone and I just got used to writing 14 in the date.  I also fell way behind on my writing goals over the summer, but hanging out with the kids was worth it.  They were excited when school started back up on Monday (way too soon!), but definitely ready for the weekend when I picked them up today.

With the days of summer vacation waning and the scramble to assemble proper classroom attire, I haven't posted much, except to promote The Shadow Watcher.   I've been working on a few things I'm excited about, though, and wanted to share, so without further ado....

The second book in the Society in the Shadow of Civilization series - A Shadow in Doubt - is coming along.  Release still looks like late October/early November, though that's not etched in stone.  There are one or two tweaks in the timeline I still need to work out, but for the most part I'm down to the big final edit before the final edit.  Which will be followed by at least two more before the release ;)  But wait, there's more....

Have you found yourself wondering about how it all began?  If you are curious about Samuel's escape from the U.C.E., with the founding members of the Society, I shared a rough sample of Shadows on the Moon Fore Shadows: Escape 2169 here.  The short story covers the hours leading up his departure, and unveils how he pulled it off.  New characters are introduced, and a different side of Tollack Pennington is exposed.  Fun, fun.  This one is my gift to you, when it's complete.

There's also the jungle scene in The Shadow Watcher, you know, where things get weird, even for Michael?  There's a short story that will give you insight into the other side of that story coming too - not titled, yet.  Sorry!

Then there's the novella - yes, novella!  The more I thought about it, the more I knew readers would want to know more about what Jay was doing while Sam was chasing birds and trees for twelve days.  Then Jay's voice started chattering away in my head.  This will fill in some of the gaps of information Sam learns between The Shadow Watcher and A Shadow in Doubt; she'll be much more enlightened by the time we pick up her story.  Which is when, exactly?  I can answer that - Chapter One starts on 11/16/2006, another night like any other, and just over a month since we left Sam and Artemis safe and sound at home.  

I haven't decided yet if this year's NaNoWriMo project will be the third book in the series, or if I'm going to go off and write something completely new again.  I have a few ideas for stand-alone novels I'm starting to need to get out of my system, so I'm going to have to think about that.

Well, I think that's all I have to share for now.  I hope you're having a beautiful day!
Roari